Heat Wave Tips!
Heat waves have been striking the San Gabriel Valley all Summer. Just like any other natural disaster, heat waves can be very dangerous!
Here are some tips to survive a heat wave:
Before the Heat Wave Hits
- Properly install window air conditioners, sealing any cracks and insulating if necessary.
- Check A/C ducts for proper insulation and clean filters.
- Install awnings, blinds, or light-colored drapes and keep them closed to keep sunlight and heat out.
- Upgrade your windows and weather-strip doors to keep heat out and cool air in.
- Make sure your first aid kit is updated and get trained in first aid relief.
- Have a plan for wherever you (and your family members/pets) spend time during a heat wave—home, work, and school—and prepare for power outages. Discuss heat safety precautions with members of your household.
- Check the contents of your emergency disaster kit in case a power outage occurs.
- Be aware of weather forecasts and the upcoming temperature changes.
- It’s not just the high temperature. The heat index is the temperature the body feels when the effects of heat and humidity are combined. See our heat index chart.
- A backhome home generator is the safest and most reliable solution! Power outages are common during heatwaves because the need for A/C puts too much pressure on the power grids. A standby generator, however, automatically keeps the A/C running, the lights on, food and medicine from spoiling, and medical devices operating.
During the Heat Wave
- Use box fans and ceiling fans to promote air circulation throughout your home. Opening doors in the house and using box fans to push hot air outdoors can function as an "exhaust" system and draw cooler evening air into the house. In the cooler evenings, open all windows and promote as much air circulation as possible.
- Take advantage of the cooling power of water. Wet towels and bandannas can have a cooling effect when worn on the shoulders or head. Consider using a spray bottle filled with cold water for refreshing spritzes throughout the day.
- Head downstairs. Since hot air rises, the upper stories of a home will be warmer than the ground floor. A basement can be a cool refuge from the midday heat.
- Eliminate extra sources of heat. Incandescent light bulbs can generate unnecessary heat, as can computers or appliances left running. Eat fresh foods that do not require you to use the oven or stove to prepare.
- Remember to maintain an adequate level of hydration, which means you'll need to consume more water than you usually do when it's hot. Thirst is the first sign of dehydration; you should drink sufficient amounts of fluids before you feel thirsty in order to prevent dehydration
- For a homemade "air conditioning" system, sit in the path of a box fan that is aimed at an open cooler, or pan filled with ice.
Hot Weather And Firestorms
A firestorm is an intense fire that develops its own wind system. The strong wind currents make it easy for the flames to spread and it also increases its potential to cause damage significantly. During the summer the chances of one occurring increase due to the natural hot weather. Areas close to the forest or places with dry vegetation are at a higher risk of being affected by a firestorm. It is key to always be prepared for a fire as they can begin so suddenly. Some important tips to better prepare yourself include
- Have an emergency plan in place
- Install smoke detectors, detecting a fire early on may prevent complications
- Inspect your home for potential fire hazards; being aware of their location can prevent a fire
- Know the phone number of your nearest fire department; the sooner you call the faster they can arrive
- If a fire occurs indoors if possible you can close the door of the area. This may slow the spread of the fire
- Know the location of fire fighting equipment such as fire extinguishers
- Evacuate your home if there is a wildfire nearby that may reach your home
- Reduce or eliminate dry vegetation surrounding your home; dry vegetation is easily flammable
- Don't try to fight a large fire
- Be aware of your surroundings
No matter the location or size of a fire they are always dangerous. If you see there is a firestorm taking place then you should really remain on alert as they are very dangerous. In the event that you do receive fire damage then SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park specializes in fire damage mitigation. We have the equipment and expertise to assist you with your situation and we always want to help. We can easily be reached at (626) 852-9922. We are also available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
HVAC Leak In The Attic
The hole that was left after the ceiling collapsed.
We are in the middle of summer and many people have their air conditioning systems running consistently to stay cool. However, as comfortable as it may be you should always do some preventative maintenance as there is always a chance they can leak water. We recently received a job where the air conditioning unit in a bedroom ceiling was leaking consistently. The insulation in the attic was absorbing the water while at the same time the water was weakening the ceiling. Eventually the weight was enough to cause it to collapse and for some water to spill throughout the home. The leak ended up affecting the tenants bedroom walls, floors and the closet. It also affected the hallway walls and ceilings along with the living room walls. It also left a large whole in the ceiling in the room it originated. The client reached out to SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park for assistance and we were able to arrive within a day to begin the restoration process.
Air conditioning units create a comfortable setting in one's home. However, this comfort may cause one to overlook a malfunction in their unit. Signs of a defective unit include hearing or seeing unusual water dripping, or if you notice a puddle of water around your HVAC unit. An above average electric bill is also a common sign. A damaged unit will require more effort to run effectively thus a higher electricity bill. If you notice its not cooling as it is supposed to then that can also be a sign of a potential problem. If you haven't inspected your unit in at least 1 year it is suggested to give it a quick observation. If you do notice any signs of a malfunctioning unit it is key to take action as resolving the issue early on can save you from dealing with future complications. If you do happen to experience water damage from an HVAC leak then you can reach out to SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park. We specialize in water damage mitigation and are always willing to help. We can be reached at (626) 852-9922. We are also available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Be Careful When Smoking
Smoking is one of the leading causes of fires taking place. Being aware of your surroundings and of the potential fire hazards is important as fire can start suddenly. Some things you can do to prevent smoking fires include:
- Avoid smoking indoors; too many materials such as your bed, carpet, wood cabinets and blinds around that can catch on fire
- Avoid smoking around flammable materials even if you are outdoors
- Don't smoke in landscape areas. Things like trees and grass can easily catch fire
- Try to stick to smoking areas; they were designed for people to smoke and to minimize the risks.
- Discard the materials in appropriate areas such as ashtrays. Don't just throw them on the ground or thrash
- Make sure the butts and ashes are completely extinguished. If no ashtrays are around you can use the concrete or dip them in water
- Always be aware of your surroundings
The small flame from the cigarette butt can easily become a large one if not careful. If so then a variety of complications will arise. Even if the fire is put away quickly it can leave your home with a bothersome smell that can linger around for days. If you do happen to need assistance in dealing with fire damage then SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park is always ready to help. We specialize in fire damage mitigation and we can be reached at (626) 852-9922. We are also available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
A Water Leak in the Middle of the Home
The water leak affected the ceiling right below it.
We recently received a call from a tenant that experienced water damage. The home was a multi- unit three story condo where the toilet had overflowed on the second floor. Because it took place in the middle of the building the water was able to spread into the lower level as well. By the time the tenant took action, the damage had become extensive.
It affected the restroom's tile floor and vanities and the flooring in two nearby closets. It had also reached the living room and kitchen areas where the laminate flooring and lower walls were damaged. On the lower level it reached the entrance of the home and the garage; the ceiling in between the floors ended up being damaged as well. The tenants insurance reached out to us about the situation and we were happy to help. When we arrived we set up drying equipment and packed the necessary materials. We drilled wall cavities to allow the air flow to be more effective and speeden up the drying process. We removed some of the laminate flooring that was not salvageable and set up a containment in the affected areas so that possible contamination did not spread. We kept in contact with the insurance on behalf of the property owner the entire time and our Project Manager regularly monitored the restoration process. The tenant was impressed on how rapidly we proceeded, how we were handling the situation and with the convenience of the process.
SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park specializes in dealing with water damage. We will aim to arrive quickly to assist and try to make the entire process as easy as possible. If you need our help just reach out to us at (626)852-9922 we always want to help. We are also available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days per year.
Hot Summer Storms
The summer is officially here. The weather is hot and the sun is out longer. It is normal to see people spending time outdoors and enjoying the long days. A few days ago the weather was at 90 degrees. One would think it was just another beautiful day. However, that day it was raining, windy, and there was a consistent lightning storm taking place.
The moral of the story shows how even in the summer, storms can occur. During these summer storms water from the light rain can come in through a roof that has leak holes. Your roof can be damaged if water begins ponding in a weakened area. Thus, causing it to break and allowing water to fall inside. Water can also seep in through gaps around the building and damage your floor. Sewage problems can potentially arise and lead to some overflows. Also, there is always a small chance that the lightning strikes can start a fire, thus leading to a large disaster. With all these possibilities one would think it's the rainy season that takes place during the Fall and Winter time, but in fact it is during the summer when the temperature reaches 90 degrees and above daily.
Regardless of the time of the year, it is wise to always be aware of the potential damages that can take place during storms. If you do run into a situation where water or fire damage happens feel free to reach out to SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park at (626) 852-9922. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. We always want to help and we will begin the restoration process and make it “like it never even happened.”
We Arrived Quick!!
We received a call from an apartment complex where water damage took place. The property manager said that they found us online and read our positive reviews, so they decided to contact us for assistance. We aimed not to disappoint and to live up to our reputation.
The damage had taken place in the kitchen area on the second floor so it was key to mitigate the damage before it affected the tenants on the first floor. While our office staff was already in contact with their insurance, one of our project managers arrived the same day and began inspecting the situation and consulting the tenant. Shortly after, our technician crew arrived and began setting up the appropriate equipment to begin the restoration process. They sealed up the area and began the removal of the surface water. They placed air movers and dehumidifiers in areas that had high moisture levels. In some areas of the walls they cut wall cavities to speed up the drying process. By mitigating the damage they were able to decrease demolition and were able to salvage most of their material. Since we arrived quickly we were able to finish the job in a well timed manner, leaving the tenant surprised on how fast we were able to complete the entire process.
SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park understands the importance of arriving quickly when water damage takes place. Not doing so can result in the damage spreading. We know how complicated the situation can become, but we are here to help you with everything from cleanup to dealing with your insurance company. You can contact us at (626) 852-9922. We are also available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
We Love to Network
SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park specializes in the fire and water damage restoration and mold remediation industry. Our goal is to always aid you the best possible way we can during your time of need. Besides using our personal expertise, we also aim to network with other professionals that specialize in their own industries. We do this because we want you to receive the appropriate assistance when needed.
We network alongside plumbers to fix that burst pipe or water source that led to the water damage. We also network with HVAC companies that can assist you when your system malfunctions and causes a leakage. We also communicate with roofing companies for when your roof is damaged and you're in need of repairs. If you need new cabinets, flooring, or a remodel after fire or water damage takes place; we can put you in contact with a specialist to assist you in replacing your product. Also, if you don’t want to deal with the inconvenience of communicating with your insurance agent during the entire restoration process we will save you the stress and happily do it for you.
There are times when a job will require a service from a different profession. When this happens we do not want to leave you on your own, we understand that you will be stressed during these times. We have a variety of business to business relationships so that we can refer you to the right person so that you can get the appropriate service required and to make sure you are well taken care of. If you need our assistance feel free to contact us at (626) 852- 9922. We are also available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. We are always happy to help.
Did You Know?
Did you know that there are 3 categories of water damage? When water damage takes place it is important to be able to differentiate between them because depending on the type; each can contain different amounts of bacteria and if not tended too quickly the damage can accelerate and become hazardous. The 3 categories you should be aware of are
Category 1; known as “Clean Water”
This is the most common type of water damage. The water is mostly clear and comes from a sanitary source such as a sink or overflow. Being around it does not usually pose a threat. However, if you leave the water lingering things like your floor, walls, cabinets and any of the wet areas can still be damaged considerably.
Category 2; known as “Gray Water”
This type of water is contaminated with a good amount of bacteria. Exposure to this can potentially cause sickness. It has a dirty grayish color and should not be left lingering in your home too long otherwise it can turn into a category 3 within 24 to 48 hours. Gray water may originate from sources such as washing machines or a toilet overflow with urine.
Category 3; known as “Black Water”
This type of water should be tended to quickly as it is the worst possible type to have in your business or home. It is highly contaminated and can lead to severe illness as it contains harsh chemicals and bacteria. You may even be able to spot the toxins with your eye. Black water can originate from sources such as the sewage system or an ill-maintained toilet. When you see black water it should be tended to immediately.
Regardless of the category, water damage should always be taken seriously and one should be attentive towards it. SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park specializes in dealing with water damage. We have the equipment and certified professionals to arrive and begin the restoration process. Their goal is to get your life back to normal. We can be reached (626) 852-9922. We are also available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year so don't hesitate to contact us.
Call From a Dental Clinic
We recently received a job at a Dental Clinic where the tenant had a water leak that damaged their flooring, carpet, walls, and other materials in one of their offices. Due to the office being damaged, they were one office space short. Thus, they were limited in their work. They reached out to us and requested immediate attention. Our Project Manager was able to be on site within 30 minutes of receiving the call. After the initial inspection and consultation, he and our team began setting up the proper equipment and taking the necessary steps to begin the drying and restoration process. Since we were able to respond quickly, we were able to minimize the damage and get their business back to running normal swiftly.
When it comes to running a business, working under limited conditions can really set you back. Clients who visit a dental office are already expecting a service to be performed. If they have to reschedule or have to wait longer than their scheduled appointment then from their point of view it may be seen as bad customer service. This can lead to bad word of mouth, potential loss of customers and overall have a negative impact on their business image. This is why it is important to be proactive if you ever receive damages to your commercial property. The faster you take action the quicker it can be resolved. Hence, you don't have to halt or limit your operations for a prolonged period.
SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park is well established in dealing with water damages that occur at commercial buildings. We also understand the importance of keeping your business running. We can be reached at (626) 852-9922. We are also available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. So when you are in need of our services don’t hesitate to contact us. We are always willing to help and get you back on the right path.