Fleeing to Safety
Smoke covers the air from the wildfires.
Explosive Fire Storm Alert…
Right now, thousands of Californians are being forced to evacuate and leave their homes as 9 wildfires are burning down part of Northern California. Some officials are predicting that it may spread to the Lake Tahoe Basin because only 5% of the fire is contained. This means that all Northern Californians are being kept on their toes about whether or not they will need to evacuate their homes. Fire departments are being spread thin as troops from all over are being sent North to help contain the spread.
With that being said, SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park stands ready to help when you need it. This year’s California fire storms have already caused a record amount of destruction. Once it is safe for our teams to move into the restoration phase, those structures that can be saved will be returned to their owners and businesses safe to begin the return to a normal lifestyle and business environment.
Our Southern California Fire Season is upon us and we are ready to support if there is an emergency. If you or a loved one have a property directly affected by wildfires, including smoke damage from being downwind, do not hesitate to call us at 626-852-9922.
We serve customers all across Los Angeles, Orange, and San Bernardino Counties. SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park/Glendora/San Dimas/South Pasadena/San Marino for all Emergency and Routine Property Restoration Services.
How Did That Mold Get There?
Did you know that mold growth occurs after there has been water damage? The excess water that is not cleaned up or dried up is where the mold thrives. Moisture can be found in wood, drywall, insulation, and other materials that mold will use as food to grow and spread. Did you know it can take as little as 24 to 48 hours for mold to start to form and grow? That is extremely fast which means that it will spread quickly. It is crucial that once you spot it on any surfaces that you notify SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park so that we can take care of it properly before it has a chance to become a health threat to those with respiratory conditions or age related sensitivity.
If you think you could have a mold problem after experiencing flooding from a broken pipe or a storm, the sooner you call 626-852-9922 the better your chances we can eliminate the mold and reduce the chances of a bigger problem. We service customers throughout the Southern California region including Los Angeles, Orange, and San Bernardino counties.
If you’re concerned about Mold in your property, SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park has you covered.
How to Avoid Dryer Fires in Your Home
Did you know that your dryer can cause a fire? It’s rare to hear this as a reason for a fire but it’s one that can be avoided. Here are some ways to avoid dryer fires.
- The lint that is being gathered from all of your clothes is extremely flammable. It’s crucial that you clean the lint trap after EVERY SINGLE USE.
- Check to make sure there are no loose wires and everything is plugged in properly.
- Do not run the dryer when you are away from home or sleeping so that you can catch it faster if something were to happen.
- Do not overload the dryer.
These are some easy tips to ensure the safety of you and your loved ones. We know that sometimes appliances are faulty or other factors may arise and cause a fire, however, SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park is certified to restore your property from fire damage. Joe McCann has been in the business for 16+ years so he has all of the knowledge on how to fix property damage effectively and efficiently. Call us at 626-852-9922 if you need help restoring your residential or business property. We serve customers throughout the Los Angeles, Orange, & San Bernardino Counties.
Oh No! I Have a Burst Pipe!
Team working on removing affected area.
When the unexpected happens, it can be really stressful and upsetting. However, SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park has a team of certified professionals that have the knowledge to address and resolve these unwanted accidents. Our team is great at their jobs, but to help make sure that everything is done as swiftly as possible, here are some Do’s and Don’ts that you should follow.
- Immediately, turn off the source of water
- Try to mop up all excess water as much as possible
- Open all the windows to dry out the rooms affected to shorten the amount of time with the dehumidifiers or fans
- Call SERVPRO Joe at 626-852-9922 and explain everything that has happened so our team can find the best solution for your unique situation.
- Do not try to remove any carpets on your own
- Do not apply any heat to the affected areas as it could results in more damage
- Do not put any products on the affected area
These are just a few Do’s and Don’ts of what you should do until help arrives. SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park services all throughout the Los Angeles, Orange, and San Bernardino Counties. Do not hesitate to call. We want to make sure you get the help you need when an emergency strikes.
Are You Prepared for a Storm?
Be prepared for the worst case scenario
In California, we always joke that “California doesn’t have seasons” and that is because for the most part, we are able to accurately predict the weather because it is on the milder side and rarely has extremes. However, it is still important to be prepared for anything which is why you should have an emergency plan and kit for the worst case scenarios. This is why it is recommended that you prepare a disaster supply kit in order to be ready for a worse case scenario. When a natural disaster strikes, you may need to survive on your own for several days so it is important to have water, food, and other supplies to last your household for 72 hours. To make things easier on you, SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park has created a sample disaster kit list for you to follow.
Here is an Example of What You Should Include in Your Disaster Supply Kit:
- Gallons of water per person to last a few days which can be used for drinking and sanitation
- Food that is non-perishable
- First Aid Kit
- Flashlight & radio with extra batteries
- Emergency cash
- Manual can opener
- Masks to filter the air
- Prescription and any other mediation
- Extra eyeglasses and contact lenses/solution
- Important family documents
- Sleeping bags for each person
- Changes of clothes and sturdy shoes
- Personal hygiene items
- matches/candles in a waterproof container
- Paper cups, paper towels, plastic utensils, garbage bags, moist towelettes
Maintaining Your Kit
The items listed above are guidelines for how to pack your emergency kit and what you put into yours is completely up to you and customizable to your preferences and needs. Now here are some tips on how to maintain your kit:
- Keep canned food in a cool, dry place
- Store boxed food in tightly closed plastic or metal containers
- Replace expired items as needed
- Re-think your needs every year and update your kit as your family’s needs change.
Don't Hesitate to Reach Out When Emergency Strikes
If a storm occurs, follow all safety protocols. Once everything has settled down and it is safe, call SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park at 626-852-9922 and someone from our crew will be happy to assist you. We service all throughout the Los Angeles, Orange, and San Bernardino Counties.
Why timely restoration following a water loss is important….
When a customer or an insurance carrier reports a water loss to SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin, a person to person response can be expected within one hour. This is the start of our priority service that may result in the immediate dispatch of a crew and equipment in an emergency, or scheduling of the property for inspection prior to restoration.
However, the complexity and cost of restoration generally increases with the amount of time that passes before the start of the job. So a timely request for help by the affected customer is essential.
In a flooded structure, if water is allowed to pool up, wood and other building materials in contact with the water will absorb it increasing the drying time, potentially increasing the amount of work to assure proper drying, and increased costs to reconstruct the property after drying is complete. Also, after the first 48 hours the chances of mold growth increases rapidly.
SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park has a standard for responding to a call in a timely manner to help keep the cost and time to recover from water damage to the absolute minimum. This rapid reaction helps both the property owner and the insurance carrier to control for avoidable expenses and inconvenience.
SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park is a building and property restoration business here to help home and business owners recover from disasters that have impacted their lives. Over the years, we’ve assisted thousands of people confronting personal calamities that require a helping hand. We pride ourselves on making the recovery from property losses a little easier by providing quality restoration services and giving back control to those affected by disaster. We provide services all over the Los Angeles, San Bernardino, and Orange County areas.
SERVPRO trucks on the job.
At SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park, we understand that accidents happen. When a fire occurs in your residence, we know that you need professional restoration services as soon as possible.
Our crew is staffed with highly trained and experienced professionals that can restore any fire damage that has occurred. The technicians assigned to assist you will have completed a certification through the IICRC.
We also are a franchise that has advanced technology and equipment to speed up the process as much as possible. Our experts deal with soot cleanup, odor removal, air purification, water removal, and sanitization. We also use air scrubbers that help with indoor air quality concerns such as debris and particles
which are not safe for home owners or the environment. To clean up the odors left from fire damage, we use our thermal fogger and deodorizing agents to neutralize harsh odor molecules on contact.
We certainly hope that nothing ever happens to your property. But, if an accident or event occurs, we want you to know that we are here to serve and make sure your residence or business is restored to like new condition.
Please give our office a call if an emergency strikes at 626-852-9922 and we will
be happy to assist you. We service properties throughout the Los Angeles, Orange, and San
The Most Common Causes of Water Damage to Your Property
Action shot of our technician restoring water damage.
Water damage is costly and stressful to you and your property. Property owners should be aware the most common water losses are preventable.
Listed below are some of the most common causes and preventative measures for dealing with water damage.
- Refrigerator Ice Maker Water Line: This occurs most often when the water line that goes from the valve on the wall to the back of the refrigerator begins to leak from improper installation, accidental damage, or age. To prevent water damage inspect the condition of the water line periodically to assure there are no slow leaking connections that could turn into a flood. Sometimes the shut off value at the wall is the source of water leakage. Also, wireless WiFi enabled flood alarms are available to help detect water leaks under sinks, behind appliances and locations vulnerable to flooding.
- Leaky Toilets: Check the supply line that goes from the wall to the bottom of the toilet tank in all bathrooms. Make sure that it is securely in place and check for any water dripping from around the connections on either end. If you do detect water leaking from around the connections you will need to retighten or replace the line. Sometimes the shut off value at the wall is the source of water leakage. Another thing to look for is the condition of the fill valve and seal between the toilet tank and the toilet bowl. If there are cracks in the toilet tank or bowl, you may need to replace the toilet.
- Water Heaters: These tanks are what hold the hot water that supplies all the sinks, showers, and the washing machine in the property. Because they are a large water container, when they’re full they have a lot of pressure inside. Also, because the tanks are usually made from metal, over time oxidation will corrode the tank and create small leaks that can grow larger in time. Periodically checking the floor around the hot water heater for moisture and checking the connecting lines at the top of the tank for leaking joints is a good practice. A pan is available to place under the water heater so that any small amount of water that may be leaking is contained in the pan giving the property owner a chance to correct the problem before a disaster occurs.
- Washing Machine Backups: It is important to recognize if water is not draining properly during the operation of the washing cycle. If the pipe on the wall is clogged the wastewater will back up in the standing pipe and overflow into the property. Cleaning the drain pipe will be required to allow normal operation.
Don’t Wait if Emergency Strikes
Water damage Incidents can happen even if you do your best to prevent them. If you do experience some kind of flooding in your property, you can count on SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park to provide expert advice and service all of your needs. We work with property owners throughout the Los Angeles, Orange, and San Bernardino Counties. You can schedule an appointment by calling us at 626-852-9922.
FIRE, FIRE, FIRE!
An action shot of our crew working on the Pasadena job.
To bring in the new year, we received a job from a restaurant in Pasadena that had sustained a structure fire in a ventilation system. The fire originated from the main floor and worked its way to the second floor where it affected offices and the stairwell. Smoke filled up the entire building including the basement level.
Roughly everyday there are 15-20 general laborers and 3-4 restoration supervisors on site. Starting in March, our crew was working on heavy demolition which opened up cavities to allow ventilation throughout the building. This also allowed for our crew to clean the studs and framing for odor lock.
How can You Prevent this from Happening to You?
What can you do for preventative measures?
- Make sure that you have installed an automatic fire-suppression system in the kitchen.
- Have portable fire extinguishers on hand.
- Schedule regular maintenance.
- Train your employees on fire safety and have an emergency plan set in place.
If an Emergency Strikes, We are Here to Help!
In case of an emergency, call 911 first and evacuate immediately. After the fire department has completed their job, call SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park at 626-852-9922 and someone from our team will be happy to serve you. We handle projects all over the Los Angeles, Orange, and San Bernardino Counties.
Tools You Will See Us Use
Photograph of some of our air movers.
Air movers, which are also known as floor drying fans, are used in construction and water restoration
projects. The main use is to increase air circulation, which decreases the time spent to
remove water in the building materials, shortening the drying time. Air movers are a vital tool when our services are needed due to water damage.
3 Different Air Moving Units:
The type of air blower affects the speed and direction of airflow and the amount of space that can be covered by the air mover. There are three major types of air blower units used in most commercial dry out scenarios:
- Axial: Axial blowers will be used to move large amounts of air across a bigger and wider space. They are larger air movers that produce high airflow that only move air horizontally. They are great for drying walls or top-down drying treatments on carpets.
- Centrifugal: They are used for spot treatments and can direct airflow from several directions to a specific spot. They are commonly used in restoration work to dry hard to reach areas like under cabinets and in crawl spaces and closets.
- Compact: Compact air movers are versatile enough to be used for both large floor areas and small spot drying. Using 1/4 horsepower motors, they have the ability to quietly and quickly and effectively dry areas. Small and lightweight, compact air movers are the perfect solution for drying small, hard-to-reach spaces such as closets, corners or under counters.
When Disaster Strikes, Call SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park
We at SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park will always assess each water damage situation independently to best determine which air mover and how many to use for your specific situation. We have all the resources and knowledge to make sure that we leave your place "Like it never even happened."®
SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park performs restoration services all over Los Angeles, Orange, and San Bernardino counties. Call now to schedule an appointment with one of our highly experienced and trained team members at 626-852-9922.