Flooding in Your Home
Flooding in your home can happen at any time from broken pipes and drain back ups, but your home can be even more exposed to water damage when it rains. Follow these tips to help protect your home from water damage during the next rain storm.
- Modify your homes water valves. If the city's main sewer line gets backed up during a heavy rain storm, you could find yourself standing in a a puddle of you-know-what. You may want to consider installing a interior or exterior backflow valve. Backflow valves prevent your water system from being contaminated from water flowing backwards into your supply lines.
- Clear gutter, drains, and downspouts. Clogged gutters and downspouts can end up in a messy flood. Take the time to clean them and clear them of any and all debris before the rain comes.
- Check your sealant surrounding doors and windows. Make sure that any gaps or holes in the sealant surrounding the doors and windows are filled in. This will help stop rain water from finding its way into your home.
- Make sure you landscaping drains water away from your home or business. Many buildings are damaged from heavy rain creating pools of water around the building foundation which can migrate through the walls and into basements and rooms built below ground level.
- Make sure your roof is in good condition before the rainy season. Leaking water through the roof is very common when properties are located in areas of the country with mild climates. It’s easy to ignore an aging roof when storms are infrequent and mild. So when a heavy winter storm comes, the chances of damage to the inside of the property are increased.
Contact SERVPRO of Irwindale and Baldwin Park for any questions about storm and flooding prevention. Joe McCann and his team have years of training and first hand experience helping property owners prevent and deal with storm damage.
SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park performs restoration services all over Los Angeles, Orange, and San Bernardino counties. Call now to schedule an appointment with one of our highly experienced team members at 626-852-9922.