Are You Prepared for a Storm?
In California, we always joke that “California doesn’t have seasons” and that is because for the most part, we are able to accurately predict the weather because it is on the milder side and rarely has extremes. However, it is still important to be prepared for anything which is why you should have an emergency plan and kit for the worst case scenarios. This is why it is recommended that you prepare a disaster supply kit in order to be ready for a worse case scenario. When a natural disaster strikes, you may need to survive on your own for several days so it is important to have water, food, and other supplies to last your household for 72 hours. To make things easier on you, SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park has created a sample disaster kit list for you to follow.
Here is an Example of What You Should Include in Your Disaster Supply Kit:
- Gallons of water per person to last a few days which can be used for drinking and sanitation
- Food that is non-perishable
- First Aid Kit
- Flashlight & radio with extra batteries
- Emergency cash
- Manual can opener
- Masks to filter the air
- Prescription and any other mediation
- Extra eyeglasses and contact lenses/solution
- Important family documents
- Sleeping bags for each person
- Changes of clothes and sturdy shoes
- Personal hygiene items
- matches/candles in a waterproof container
- Paper cups, paper towels, plastic utensils, garbage bags, moist towelettes
Maintaining Your Kit
The items listed above are guidelines for how to pack your emergency kit and what you put into yours is completely up to you and customizable to your preferences and needs. Now here are some tips on how to maintain your kit:
- Keep canned food in a cool, dry place
- Store boxed food in tightly closed plastic or metal containers
- Replace expired items as needed
- Re-think your needs every year and update your kit as your family’s needs change.
Don't Hesitate to Reach Out When Emergency Strikes
If a storm occurs, follow all safety protocols. Once everything has settled down and it is safe, call SERVPRO of Irwindale/Baldwin Park at 626-852-9922 and someone from our crew will be happy to assist you. We service all throughout the Los Angeles, Orange, and San Bernardino Counties.